Monday, February 27, 2012

DPC Guest Mix Series 10: Macoe - Winter Longs for Spring

There is something about a mix that can tell a story that I can't help but bask in. It's one of the beautiful things about music, and something we can all relate to on a deeper level. 2011 was no cake-walk for me, and to say that music was something I held onto whenever I felt like I needed something is a huge understatement. Have you been there before? Is it creepy that I just told you something a little too personal? Errr, don't answer that. And please still be my friend.

Thankfully, 2012 has been nothing short of amazing, and I can also say the same about the 10th installment of our Guest Mix Series coming from Macoe Swett (Macoe), a lovely DJ, who hails from San Diego, California. I came across her mixes via SoundCloud and after listening to them and deciding that they were mixed very well, I started to comment on them like a mad woman. #sorryimnotsorrytheywerereallygood

Then I noticed she was from San Diego (!!!)

San Diego is one of the coolest places I've been to; between Sea World (there's beer there. There's beer there. THEY SERVE BEER THERE), visiting my brother and his wife (who live there currently), the weather (!!!), a Virginia Tech bar (BUB'S!) and knowing there are good DJs out there makes me want to transplant my life to the west coast, stat.

Macoe has been kind enough to put together "Winter Longs for Spring" for DPC and I can't gush enough about this deep house/house mix she provided. I've already listened to it three different times in less than 24 hours I liked it so much. I don't want to give away the entire mix, but at the 19 minute mark, Space Ranger's remix of Bonar's Bradberry's track, "You Were Away" dropped and I was completely entranced in the deep vibes and oh-so-relatable lyrics. And when The Drop Out Orchestra's Club Cut of Lou Teti's, "Get Away" at 36 minutes came on it all made sense.

And I loved every second of this mix. For serious. I've said it before, but I freaking love our Guest Mix Series and the variety that we've been able to provide and we hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Macoe was kind enough to answer some questions for DPC, so check out the interview below and give this mix a listen!

How did you get into DJing?

My then boyfriend, now husband, Marc Williams, taught me how to beat match about 13 years ago. However, I didn't really start building my own collection until three years ago, and was just a bedroom dj until a couple years ago. Marc was a great teacher and showed me just enough to get me started, while letting me figure out the rest on my own. We also play together under the name These Siamese. I am also thankful to have many close friends who are DJs and have been very supportive of me, including Mark Quark, Le Roux, DJ Duane, and Jon Doss just to name a few.


Who are your favorite artists and producers right now?

Right now, I'm really enjoying Space Ranger, Nobody's Hero, Whomadewho, the C90s, Cosmonauts, Tronik Youth, Lou Teti and Ilya Santana as well as many others. There's so much great stuff being put out right now. It's an exciting time to be involved in the electronic music industry.


What's your favorite dance move?

I'm not sure anything can beat the Chicken Noodle dance, although I never see it here on the west coast. There's some great street dancers in Korea and Japan as well. (This has nothing to do with the genres of music I play though.)

I know that you're from San Diego, Is there a large disco and house crowd in San Diego?

I'm actually from the east coast (moved here from Philly) but I've lived here for 12 years, so I do call San Diego my home these days. No, I wouldn't say there's a large crowd here but it's a good crowd. There's some exciting collaborations going on right now and it's been fun to watch it grow.


Do you find it was harder to get gigs or make a name for yourself because you're a female DJ?

No, if anything, I'd say it's easier because people tend to take notice when there's a female DJ on the decks. I really don't play up that angle; I don't want people to book me because I'm a girl. I want people to book me because they like my music. But if they happen to pay more attention because I'm female, then that's fine. I thought when I started playing out that everyone would be like "Just what we need, another dj..." but that hasn't been my experience at all. Both male and female DJs have been very receptive to me.


How would you describe your guest mix to DPC readers?

This mix is all about longing. Longing for love, longing for someone you've lost, longing for something you haven't found yet. It's kind of a universal emotion. Hence the name: Winter Longs for Spring.

Guest Mix Series 10: Macoe - Winter Longs for Spring by DancePartyChronicles

Tracklisting
Volta Cab - Curious Dreams (Original Mix)
In Deep We Trust - Play with Me - Ilya Santana Remix
Touch You Gently (Original Mix) - Art Department
Bonar Bradberry - You Were Away (Space Ranger Hypno Remix)
Appaloosa - The Day (We Fell in Love) - Ted & Francis Remix
Nikko Gibler - Hide From No One (Original Mix)
Lou Teti - Get Away (Drop Out Orchestra Club Cut)
Whitest Boy Alive - Live on a Island - Nat Self Romance Edit
Pillowtalk - Soft (Life and Death Remix)

And in case you missed our other guest mix installments:
Guestmix 01: Mr. Bonkerz
Guestmix 02: Speakerbot
Guestmix 03: Ichisan
Guestmix 04: Coltrane
Guestmix 05: Drop Out Orchestra
Guestmix 06: Sir Charles
Guestmix 07: Cooper Saver
Guestmix 08: Trev-Ski
Guestmix 09: Sneakers in the Dryer

2 comments:

  1. great mix macoe! how can i submit a mix? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra!

      Thanks for the comment, feel free to email us about guest mixes! dpchronicles@gmail.com.

      -BT

      Delete