Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What makes a good DJ mix? (rant!) / Pharao Black Magic - Disconnected Mix 027

There's a lot of things that come together to make a great mix. It's not just tracks and transitions. An important and often looked over aspect is pacing (pretty sure there's a more technical term, but I'll go with it). I've said it before, but there's no shortage of people who can string together a set of fantastic tracks. Fewer can mix them together smoothly. But what I think sets apart the "elite" from the rest is combing those aspects with great pacing. A DJ mix should take me on a journey, so to speak. There should be high an low points. And by the end of it. I should either be completely satiated or want to start the thing over again.

So, like any form of music, a mix should be dynamic. DJ's can do this in a few ways. They can adjust the tempo/BPMs of the tracks they are playing. They can play more/less mellow/energetic tracks, or switch up the genre. Some will even add effects and loops. This is far from a comprehensive list, but just a few of the things that catch and keep my attention when it comes to a great DJ mix.

This new one from Pharao Black Magic for Disconnected does a lot of those things. Hence why I was felt the need to rant about it first. Listen for the stuff I mentioned above. PBM do lovely job blending Nu/Disco/House tracks while incorporating a number of those aspects I feel make a great mix. Be patient with the first half, the energy is low but fun. You'll have a hard time keeping still come the second, when get kicked up a few notches. Enjoy!


Tracklist:
01 - Almunia - New Moon
02 - Out Of City - Whirlpool Of Youth
03 - Runaway - Indoor Pool (Slow Hands Half Full Remix)
04 - Kon & The Gang - Sunlight
05 - Munk - Can I Have Your Attention (King DJ Edit)
06 - Morten Sorensen - Burn Down
07 - Pharao Black Magic - The Eye Of Horus
08 - Peach Melba - Can't Let Go
09 - Oliver - I Need You
10 - Lou Teti - I Know The Way (Generatto Remix)
11 - Benoit & Sergio - Principles

No comments:

Post a Comment