Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mid-Day Disco Dance Party, Round III

I'm back for the third installment of "Mid-Day Disco Dance Party" for all of your afternoon dance party needs. Hopefully you were busy this morning listening to Magic Tape 14 or the Volta Bureau mix Rashad posted.

Last night I was doing what I normally do:
stalk Soundcloud and Facebook to find new artists that I'm not familiar with to satisfy my DDP addiction. Don't you do that too?

I stumbled across Kiwi, aka: Alex Warren, who hails from the United Kingdom, and is currently taking the London Underground house/disco scene by storm. His moniker is "Orlando Boom", though I definitely read "Orlando Bloom" for awhile, wondering why the hell he did that... and then the lightbulb turned on. Funny how that happens, right? (source)

Anyway. Holy crap!
I really liked this mix!

At the 4:30 minute mark,
Genius of Time - "Houston We Have a Problem" gets dropped . I love the deep house this Swedish duo of Anira Records brings to this song. It's centered around basslines and vocal samples taken from the Whitney Houston song, "Million Dollar Bill" (source) and is one of the three songs that is featured on their album, "Drifting Back" that was released in January 2011 on the Royal Oak record label.

Genius of Time - Houston We Have a Problem by Alexander Berg

Following Genius of Time's song, the mix goes into Soul Clap's 'Bakerman's' remix, which gives a level of depth to the original soulful version. But we all know the reason why this song rules to begin with.

Why? Cause of the "Suck a boner, I'm a Johnny Wiener" lyrics. Duh. Please tell me I'm not the only one who caught onto that.

Around 36:20,
Alex drops "Everybody" (kiwi remix) - Miguel Migs

And yes, Alex and I are on a first-name basis because we're BFF's now. You see, I was tweeting him last night about some of his mixes, and since he tweeted back, it means he really likes me back (But seriously, Alex, if you are reading this, I'm not that creepy. I promise.)

Hopefully, Alex releases that remix because it's a dance party that contains a lot deep undertones that remind me of some faster-paced Art Department. The transition into Maceo Plexx's song sounds flawless.

And well, you already know how I feel about Crazy P (aka Crazy Penis).


Truthfully, I enjoyed the latter half of this mix a lot better. And I am really glad that I stumbled across this mix because I had not heard the Jeremy Glenn remix by Perseus! And I always love the Sister Sledge song.... that is featured in some DFA mixes that I've listened to before.


Anyway, there you have it. My thoughts about this mix.
You're welcome.

And since I did all of that work last night, you should listen to it or you'll hurt my feelings.


The Summer Mix (Recorded live) by Kiwi by Kiwi_
1) Fear of numbers - Footprintz
2) Houston We Have A Problem (Original Mix) - Genius Of Time
3) Bakerman (Soul Clap Remix) - Laid Back
4) Envision (Ame Acoustic Remix) - Osunlade
5) Want You In My Soul ft. Stee Downes (Original Mix) - Lovebirds
6) The Shady Shores - Tanner Ross & Soul Clap
7) Best Of - Deniz Kurtel & Mykle Anthony
8) I Can't Get No Sleep - Joe and Will Ask vs Kiwi
9) Body Shiver - Waifs and Strays
10) Everybody (kiwi remix) - Miguel Migs
11) Falling (Original Mix) - Maceo Plex
12) Open for Service - Crazy P
13) Cruel Summer (Summer Dub) - Bananarama
14) Love Recycled 1 (Original Mix) - Solomun
15) Got To Be Real (The Giraffe, the Pelly and Us edit) - Cheryl Lynn
16) Lost In Music (Gay Marvine edit) - Sister Sledge
17) New Life (Perseus 'Summer of 83' Remix) - Jeremy Glenn
18) Get up disco - Soho808

Cause nobody likes a sad panda.


No comments:

Post a Comment