Thursday, September 6, 2012

An Ode to Summertime

I feel like it's so cliche, but I can't help but wonder where the hell summer went. It's like I was in Detroit dancing the night away to Maya Jane Coles, and the next thing I knew, it was no longer socially acceptable to wear white pants in public anymore. While I wasn't always found poolside in the sun with a delicious drink in my hand the last few months, you can bet your ass that I most definitely had tunes going on all. the. time.

Which is quite ironic because the ratio of posts I wrote in the last few months to the number of mixes I listened to is atrocious. I guess I could blame it on being "busy," but I'll let you in on a secret; about half of the mixes we listen to, you have listened to already and hey, that's not very exciting.

So instead of posting every week I've been hoarding tracks and mixes which is totally a "Becca" thing to do anyway. If I can't whip out some sweet tracks and/or mixes for people to be impressed by, my job clearly was not done right. Therefore, I'm presenting you with my top 12 tracks of summer. Some of these are "no-brainers". Some of these are more under the radar. Some of these made me stupid happy. Some of these I played over and over again...until my friend's wanted to punch me in the face. Some of these we posted to our Facebook wall, but chances are, you either ignored us (thanks, we love you too) or you completely fail at stalking DPC's Facebook page.

In any case, you may agree, you may disagree, but let's have one last dance before the summer ends and remember how great it was :)

AFTER THE JUMP...



12. Shall Ocin - "Tribute to Summertime" (Leftroom Records)

This track had me smitten ever since it was featured as the "Essential New Tune" when Jamie Jones and Seth Troxler took over Pete Tong's BBC1 Radio show on August 17, 2012. It's sexy as hell and embodies summer time, coupled with sultry vocals, it will leave you entranced as you get lost in its deep basslines. This is set to release at the end of September off Matt Tolfrey's label, Leftroom Records, and will leave people with thoughts of summer long after the pool's been closed.

11. Solomun - "Kackvogel" (Diynamic Music)
Solomun - Kackvogel by WatergateRecords
Where do I begin? Boss-man Solomun of Diynamic music label, released this track in June and the funky bongo disco vibe is incredibly catchy. After realizing it was only released off of a compilation, I immediately bought the track and it's played at least once a day over here. One listen and your head will be nodding and you'll wonder how any track translated into "shit bird" was so damn good.

10. Crek & Carly Rae Jepsen - "Let Call Me Maybe" (Giu Pacheco Booty)
Crek & Carly Rae Jepsen - Let Call Me Maybe (Giu Pacheco Booty) by Giu Pacheco
Okay guys, this is where I may lose you. But please stay with me. Pretend like you don't see Carly Rae Jepsen in the title of this track. If there was one "Top 40" track that was mashed-up/remixed well, and dare I say, perfectly, this is most definitely the track and we can all thank the Brazilian mastermind, Giu Pacheco. And while you're sitting there with your hater shades on, you'll secretly love this track. I've shoved this track in faces of DJ friends and they really enjoyed it. I even heard some may or may not have dropped the track live this past summer, too.

9. Doctor Dru - "Voice of Dru" (Exploited Records)

If I didn't lose you at song number 10, this is another summer staple for me. Doctor Dru has a way of taking samples (Hello, collab with Adana Twins) of old tracks and looping them into deep house perfection. I know this was technically released in April, but I heard it a fair amount of times throughout the summer, so I'm lumping this track into summertime jams. It's my blog and hey, I do what I want to.

8. Luca C & Brigante feat Rashid Murphy - "Flash Of Light" (Southern Fried)
Roisin Murphy + Luca C & Brigante: Flash of Light by hardcandymusic
Originally, I had no luck in finding the original of this except in mixes while hearing the Solomun remix plenty of times. I heard this in Maxxi Soundsystem's Beats in Space mix two weeks ago and came to the conclusion that this is a track where it could do without remixes, in my opinion. Roison Murphy's voice is downright heavenly and Luca C. & Brigante showcase it perfectly. I love how they put their own deep house touch on the track without losing the beauty of the vocals.

7. Lou Teti - "Money" (Club mix) Lou Teti - "Money (Club Mix)" by Lou Teti
This track is one hell of a dance party and whenever dropped I basically fall in love with the track all. over. again. It's that good. Lou Teti is a fabulous producer and I have not been disappointed with any of his releases. This was also featured in Light Spectrum's August 2012 mix and another mix that I have played every week since it was released.

6. Storm Queen - "Let's Make Mistakes" (Environ)
Storm Queen - Let's Make Mistakes by i-D online
Released this past July, Storm Queen pumped out another club essential for house-head enthusiasts to enjoy. To be completely honest, I wasn't too keen on this track when it was first released. It definitely grew on me because the more I listened to it, the more I began to appreciate it. The lyrics aren't half bad either and I'm not saying that because it's something I can relate to. I must say though, I'm slightly disappointed because I feel like this track was underplayed this past summer which means everyone should play the crap out of it this fall.

5. Mungolian Jetset - "Smells Like Gasoline" (Smalltown Supersound)
Mungolian Jetset - Smells Like Gasoline by smalltownsupersound
Oh boy. Get familiar because this is a fabulous track from Mungolian Jetset who recently released their album, "Mungodelic" on August 21. I am a huge fan of the entire album even though it's not really a "dance party" perse. It has the right balance of weird and space tied into one track, which is why I was surprised when I also heard it in The Swiss' recent September mix. I wouldn't go as far as to say it is the next dancefloor sensation, but it certainly caught my attention and hopefully you'll enjoy the ambient vibe too.

4. Hot Since 82 - "Hit and Run" (Noir)

Gosh, I heard this track on U Street Music Hall's sound system when my friend dropped it in his opening set. Holy crap, it sounded fantastic. This one is a deep, almost sinister track that builds up to the heavy-hitting bass lines apparent at the 1:35 mark, coupled with some spacey-creepy sound effects. If you are not familiar with this Leeds-based producer/DJ, definitely check him out. He's gonna be around for awhile.

3. LNTG - "Boy U Turn Me" (Edit)
Boy U Turn Me [LNTG Edit] by Late Nite Tuff Guy
Late Nite Tuff Guy is one of those Aussie producers who has an ear and knack for making spectacular edits of classics we know and love. In this particular track, he takes Diana Ross's track, "Upside Down" and adds in some thumping bass lines -- making it a dance floor favorite of mine.

2. Fleetwood Mac - "Dreams" (Psychemagik Remix)
Dreams (Psychemagik Remix) by Psychemagik
Le sigh. I absolutely love the original, and am a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac in general, but Psychemagik completely outdid themselves here, turning this classic into a Balearic disco dream. These two are ones to watch as they literally produce magic inside their studio and I can't wait to see what they have in store for us in the fall.

1. Little Boots - "Headphones" (Moon Boots Remix)
Little Boots - Headphones (Moon Boots remix) by Moon Boots
Duh. If there was one track that could describe my entire life, this would totally be the track. Moon Boots did a phenomenal job remixing this track and once it's in your head or you see it online, you can't help but play it over and over and over again. And then one more time for good measure. This track can also be found in Tropicool's Sole Fixtape Vol. 1 that was one of my favorite mixes dropped this past summer. It's everything you want in a summer time disco dance party. TRUST ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment