Monday, August 15, 2011

Identity Fest Spotlight!: Holy Ghost!

I am currently experiencing a running coma. I've attempted writing two different blog entries for this specific post and failed. Not only did I fail, but my legs are sore, I'm tired, and I almost had a 13 year old boy beat me today.

So, let's get to the good stuff, shall we?

Identity Festival kicked off in Noblesville four days ago and hits up Charlotte, Bristow, and Camden this week.

We'll be in attendance at The Camden show on Friday and I can't freaking wait. More importantly though, we're visiting some friends (hint: one of their names rhymes with pagan) and spending some QT in Philadelphia - something that I have never really done. I can't wait for cooking dance parties, bbqs, great friends/company, and great music!

Rashad and I will be posting some acts we are excited to see, and acts you may want to check out if you happen to be hitting up any of the 20 cities Identity Festival is invading.

Holy Ghost! (DFA Records) consists of the duo, Alex Frankel and Nick Millhiser. I have seen them twice live (band), and once when they did a DJ set. I will be honest (remember, I'm an honest person!) when I say I have been more receptive to their DJ sets, as opposed to their band. You know why? Because I hate hipsters*, and the Cut Copy and Holy Ghost! show at the 9:30 Club brought more bros and hipsters out than I have seen throughout the DC area - in one room. Gross.*

Their DJ sets are full of energy, variety, and they have this funky, disco-vibe that permeates throughout their mixes that makes me smile, which may or may not be alcohol induced as well. Holy Ghost! goes on at 7pm (so their website says) so be sure not to miss them. And if you 'spill' a beer on the hipster nodding their head in front of you at the concert, I won't tell anyone.

*Note: No hipsters were injured or harmed during said concerts.

The following is a mix from Tim Sweeney's Beats in Space show. The playlist has some classics, and favorites of mine (and probably yours!) and at the 10 minute mark, you may recognize a track that's from the Beat Broker mix that has been featured before.
BIS Radio Show #506 - Holy Ghost! Part II
13. The House Girl - Bessie Smith (Farley Jackmaster Funk) - Farley Music
14. Holy Ghost! - On Board (featuring The DFA Celestial Choir) - XL
15. Ray Mang - Tatoo Me - Mangled Records
16. Faux Love - Be With You - Faux Love
17. Tiger & Woods - Deflowered - Tain 2
18. Maserati - Inventions (Justin Van Der Volgen's "Enjoy Your Prog" Remix") - Temporary Residence Limited
19. Jackpot - Night Flight - RVNG
20. Lindstrom & Christabelle - Baby Can't Stop (Aeroplane Vocal Remix) - Smalltown Supersound
21. Robert Owens - Visions (MK Mix) - 4th & B'Way
22. Eleanore Mills - Mr. Right (The Right Mix) - CDJ Records
23. Simian Mobile Disco - Cruel Intentions (Greg Wilson Edit) - Wichita
24. Eli Escobar - Glass House - Plant
25. Jacques Renault - Piano On The Beach - Unreleased
26. Jee Day - Like A Child - Unreleased
27. Rogue Cat - Magic Journey (Todd Terje Remix) - Tiny Sticks
28. - Rocket (Babytalk Remix) -
29. Jacques Renault - Can't Nobody Love Me - Hole In The Sky

The second mix is from the KCRW Radio Show (it's a shorter mix, about 33 minutes), and I'm partial to using it for a quickie at the gym.

And finally, this is their Australian Tour Sampler, that includes two of their songs, and some remixes that they have done for other artists.

Holy Ghost! - Australian Tour Sampler by future classic

No comments:

Post a Comment